ETON Storm Crank Radio NOAA (FR170)
The American Red Cross recommends that all households have a portable battery-operated or hand-crank radio as art of their complete emergency preparedness kit to listen to local radio and NOAA emergency information broadcasts.
The ETON Storm Crank Radio with NOAA Weather Radio is an all-purpose emergency preparedness kit in one small package. Designed to as an AM / FM / NOAA Weather Radio that includes an LED Flashlight, the ETON Model FR1070 also has an on-board battery that when fully charged can help refuel a cell phone.
The unit’s hand crank will generate electricity to keep the flashlight running, radio on, or a cell phone charged. Solar powered cells also help the unit maintain a charge.
A must have for any home preparedness kit, this portable allpurpose device also provides peace of mind when heading outdoors for adventure.
The ETON FR170 powers up in multiple ways—via solar panel, dynamo hand crank, or DC input—all of which charge the built-in rechargeable battery. Or you can simply plug it in the wall.
Ready, set, go
Crank the hand turbine for 90 seconds and you’ll produce enough power for 5-7 minutes of news and weather. Or simply charge it in the sun using the built-in solar panel. You can also use the mini USB cable to an AC adapter (not included) or to a computer to charge the built-in rechargeable battery. The battery will hold between 3-4 hours of power.
Crank the hand turbine for 10-15 minutes for 1-2 minutes of talk time. To charge your smartphone, simply plug it into the USB port. Power will automatically “dump charge” to your phone, just like plugging into the wall.
The bright white LED flashlight will light your way when night falls or there’s an unexpected power outage.
- AM (520-1710 KHz) & FM (87-108MHz)
- NOAA Weather Band (all 7 channels)
- Build-in LED Flashlight
- Solar-Powered, Crank Powered and DC input (mini-USB) all of which charge the internal Ni-MH battery
- USB Cell Phone Charger (USB cable not included)
- Headphone Jack
- No Batteries Needed
- Dimensions: 5.375" x 2.5" x 2.25" (W x H x D)
This item qualifies for free shipping through the U.S. Postal Service Priority Mail. Tracking numbers will be sent ahead of the shipment.
Advice for charging the ETON FR170:
- When solar charging the radio, place it into direct sunlight (not through a window, screen, in artificial light or in shade) for 8 to 10 hours to get a full charge, after which it should play for about 4 to 5 hours, at low volume.
- Crank charging it for 90 seconds will allow the radio to play for 15 to 20 minutes, at low volume. If you crank for a longer period, it will play longer.
- If it loses power such that the radio no longer plays, the light may still shine for a couple of hours because it draws far less current than the radio.